An M3 device makes your medical instrument smaller
New Scale helps medical instrument companies transform their large, expensive, complicated-to-use systems into small, affordable, easy-to-use instruments and devices. Our customers are moving their analytical instruments from the lab into the field, putting laboratory-quality results into the hands of medical workers in clinical and remote settings.
Our customers use our tiny M3 smart modules to adjust micro optics or mechanical components within their handheld, portable and mobile systems. M3 modules have micrometer precision, work on battery power, perform at any orientation and resist shock, vibration and temperature extremes.
Our M3 motion systems move lenses, samples or image planes to provide precision focus and alignment in miniature instruments. Applications include:
- Analytical instruments such as handheld blood analyzers that enable fast, accurate, lower-cost near patient testing (NPT) in clinics, remote locations and resource-limited settings.
- Portable In-Vitro Diagnostics (IVD) systems with precision focus to identify cells or markers, or flow cytometry to count and sort cells.
- Handheld optometry devices including fundus cameras, retinal cameras and autorefractors.
- Wearable assisted vision devices to improve quality of life for the vision-impaired.
- Miniature cameras for medical imaging and robotic surgery.
- Handheld video microscopes for clinical imaging.
- Portable and wearable devices for point-of-care diagnostics, home monitoring and telemedicine.
Laser beam steering
We deliver precise point-to-point beam steering of medical lasers, including high-power laser scalpels and low-power cosmetic lasers, enabling faster treatments and better results. Applications include:
- Handheld laser skin treatment devices with focus for more accurate dosing.
- Laser scalpels small enough to fit in an endoscope, with real-time beam control, high speed and high accuracy.
Optical tuning and alignment
Our high-precision smart actuators and micro stages move or rotate filters, and align samples and light sources in:
- Portable spectroscopy instruments.
- Handheld imaging systems.
Other medical applications
- Fluidic controls
- Implantable devices that are adjustable in situ for drug delivery, orthopedics (bone growth and spine straightening), audiology, neurology, pain management, sleep apnea treatment and more. The implanted devices can be non-magnetic and MRI-safe.
- Robotic surgical tools
- Electrophysiology (electrode positioning)
M3 micro mechatronic modules are:
- Small – for implantable and portable devices
- Complete – no external drive board or controller is needed
- Precise – for extremely accurate positioning or dosing
- Smart – closed-loop motion with simple high-level motion commands over standard serial interface
- Quiet – for unobtrusive wearable medical devices
- Robust – for high reliability
- Efficient – battery-operated with lower power consumption than traditional micro-motors
- Simple to integrate – with all electronics embedded in the module, you simply supply 3.3VDC and high-level motion commands
Piezoelectric UTAF and SQUIGGLE motors in our all-in-one modules generate no electromagnetic fields and can be made entirely from non-ferrous materials for use in or near MRI systems without affecting image quality or motor performance.
Research paper: "Manipulator Design and Operation of a Six-Degree-of-Freedom Handheld Tremor-Canceling Microsurgical Instrument" (read the abstract)
Technical paper: “Endoscopic Laser Scalpel for Head and Neck Cancer Surgery” (read the abstract and summary)
Technical article: “Low Power Piezo Motion: Reduced-voltage piezo motor breakthrough creates options for medical devices” article in Design News, May 2010. (read the article on Design News online)
Technical article: “Piezo motor based medical devices” article in Medical Design Technology, April 2009. (read the article on MDT online)
Technical paper: “Autonomous Positioning System for Implantable Hearing Aids Using Piezo Motors” (read the abstract)
Technical paper: “A Mobile Robot Driven by Miniature Onboard Motors for Cardiac Intervention.” (read the abstract)
Technical paper: “SQUIGGLE Motor Applications for Whole Body Small Animal MRI.” (read the paper)
Contact us for more information about using M3 modules in medical applications including endoscopy, imaging, precision analytical instrumentation, tele-medicine and more.